Thursday, October 29, 2009

This is what happens when ppl think drugs are like special magic-candy....

A random message I received:

"What do you have against drugs? I mean really. A lot of hard-working, cool, respectable people do drugs; but so do a lot of irresponsible dipshit losers. It's not fair to make such a sweeping generalization. You could be limiting your circle of friends in a pretty regrettable way. Besides, even the term itself is debatable. There are pillheads out there doing way more damage to themselves with legal OxyContin prescriptions (etc etc) than some hippies smoking pot and eating mushrooms (etc etc) could ever dream of doing. Just sayin'."

Ok, fair enough. I don't normally even bother to get into these kind of debates, but let's see my response:

"Well, I didn't say anything particularly negative about drug users. At least not that I recall..... though I do tend to go off when I rant and I could have said something I wasn't paying attention to. No; it's true I look down on drug users. And I understand perfectly well that your points are valid. I have had many friends who used drugs. I have also watched many of those friends wash themselves down the drain of society. I don't doubt that there are people out there who can be successful and still indulge in their own personal vice. My qualm is mostly within myself. I personally dislike drugs and, despite my understanding that they are not entirely negative in all circumstances, I tend to look down upon people that do them. This is my vice. I judge people based on their actions, in this case it is sometimes before I know those people. I know I am limiting my circle of friends, but the fact is that I don't think it's fair to hang out with someone while silently thinking I am better than them. (Because while this may not be true, this is how is works in my head...) I have some friends who I have told this to, and apologized for the fact that I look down on them for their choices, and we have been able to remain friends. Despite my opinion on the matter I don't actively bash on people for the choices they've made. I just choose to ignore them, or avoid putting myself in circumstance where I would be uncomfortable.


I'm not saying that my thinking is 100% right all the time. I'm just saying that it's the way I am. I guess I'm just a stuck-up bitch? But at least I know it, lol."

So I just laid it out there. I was honest, but not rude. At least not by my standards, lol. And, to my endless surprise, I wasn't met with animosity for it.

Response:

"I must say, it all sounds more reasonable after your elaborations. I wouldn't call you a stuck-up bitch... at least, not now :)  

Well, good luck to you in all your drug free endeavors."

Well, that went well. Better than expected even. :)





1 comment:

  1. My Poetry Blog

    http://singleswingle.blogspot.com/

    SONNET XXXIX FOR KATIE

    I went downtown, saw Katie in the nude
    on Common Avenue, detracted soltitude
    as it were, like a dream-state rosely hued,
    like no one else could see her; DAMN! I phewed;

    was reciprokelly then, thank heaven, viewed,
    bestowed unique hard-on! but NOT eschewed,
    contrair-ee-lee, she took a somewhat rude
    'n readidy attude of Sex Prelude; it BREWED!

    And for a start, i hiccuped "Hi!", imbued
    with Moooood! She toodledooed: "How queued
    your awe-full specie-ally-tee, Sir Lewd,
    to prove (alas!), to have me finely screwed,

    and hopef'lly afterwards beloved, wooed,
    alive, huh? Don't you even DO it, Duu-uuude!"

    My Poetry Blog

    http://singleswingle.blogspot.com/

    More...

    Adiós, mis vacas! Que pasa en esta temporada de tristeza?
    La soledad se cultiva en las ciudades;
    viva la muerte.
    Uno no debe imaginar que el hombre es bueno.
    El paisaje se despierta en un fiel espejo, pregunte.

    La noche ha porches de la siesta en ruinas con pistacho.
    Débiles enemigos se disipa amigos sin
    valor. La calle es corta.
    Hay falta de coherencia, la esperanza y la fe.
    Todas las puertas evitadas saludan: No pasarán.

    My tentatively spanish poetry blog;

    http://hollb.blogspot.com/

    My Swedish Bhagavad Gita blog, which I consider important, should make some sense through Goggle translate:

    http://kraxpelax-bhagavadgita.blogspot.com/

    My Music Blog:

    http://eutonal.blogspot.com

    My good old I Ching Blog, in Engliush, certainly lives, too:

    http://winmir.blogspot.com/

    Feel free to announce your blog on mine.

    - Peter Ingestad, Sweden

    ReplyDelete