Sunday, May 31, 2009

I could use a little PATIENCE

I wish it had happened sooner, but at least we're not still waiting.

Roger is leaving on June 13th to go to Cali and then training in New Mexico for 5 months. I wish I was leaving that sooner too, though I don't envy him the heat he's going to have to endure during training.

As for me, I'm stuck. I get to pack and clean and plan a life in a place I have never seen. I'll be looking online for apartments I won't be able to see in neighborhoods that I'll have to call other people to ask about. I know if there a neighborhoods you want to avoid in a place as small as Erie that there are only going to be worse neighborhoods in a place as big as San Diego, and I'm sure all the seemingly cheap places to live will be in those places.

Also, during this time I need to keep a decent job so I can live, of course. But I need to take my GREs.... and start the lengthy, painful application process for grad school. I'm probably going to take advantage of my lack of anything to do by actually studying a little for the GRE before I sign up to take it. To the best of my knowledge there is only one university in the San Diego area that has a graduate program in political philosophy: University of California at San Diego. I really don't have a clue how exclusive the program may or may not be, but I don't want to miss my only chance. I'd also like to do good enough that I can be eligible for funding or even a fellowship, although I admittedly don't really know how all that grad school stuff works yet. I know that university will throw money at you if you're the right person and I'd like to make that possible.

In the mean time I'm going to fill out the application I have sitting around for a substitute teaching position with the Erie School District. I don't mind kids, although I believe I would abhor teaching high school. But it would give me some decent experience. Plus substitute teachers don't really have to do much.... if they get called in to cover someone that teaches in an area other than their own expertise they basically show the kids a movie or give them some busy work. You don't have to have lesson plans and all that jazz. Plus, even though it probably won't start until August or so, it will give me some extra money and something to occupy my time.

I don't know how much longer I can put up with Best Buy's bullshit. Truthfully, I love the company. They try to do amazing things for their employees and everyone at the BBY in State College was top notch. But in Erie, everyone sucks.....it's terrible. If I stay here much longer it will only be for lack of a better (or equally good) paying option.

No comments:

Post a Comment