Wednesday, June 24, 2009

OCD....

It's possible I may be a little OCD. I never noticed it myself, but it has been brought up on a few occasions and it is being drawn more to my attention lately. The problem is that I can never remember the compulsive things I do, even when they are brought to my attention. So I'm going to begin writing them down....or typing them out as it would be.

Compulsion #1: Tapping
This is something I've been doing since highschool, probably earlier. I tap on things. Mostly with my fingers/nails, but always in rhythm. This goes beyond the normal tapping-along-on-the-steering-wheel-in-the-car (though I'm quite skilled at that as well). If my hands are occupied for some reason I tap with my feet. In high school I did this so much during Chemistry class that I actually taught myself to tap different rhythms, simultaneously, with each foot. At work, I must tap on things as I walk past them; boxes, stands, counters, displays - whatever is within reach. I often even try to tap a rhythm on succesive items as I'm walking past them. If the turn signal in my car is on while I'm waiting at a light, I even have to tap a filler rhythm to work into the steady sound of the blinker. I almost never sit still without tapping on something, most often a desk. If I'm sitting at the computer it isn't as bad, b/c I' generally typing. However, if I have my hands on the keyboard, b/c I'm attempting to think of what I'm trying to write I will tap on the keys in rapid patterns. Though it isn't my intent, people often look when I'm doing this b/c it sounds as though I am typing at lightning speed. Yeah....it's bad.

Compulsion #2: Shaving
This one isn't nearly as big, but I was talking to my mom about it today and she brought up how odd it was. I hate shaving my legs. It's just annoying and time-consuming. However, I have an even greater despise for feeling my legs when they are stubbly. If I have gone more than a few days without shaving, and my legs brush together in bed, I CANNOT sleep. I either must put on full length PJ pants or immediately get up and shave my legs. It drives me insane.

That's it for now, since those are the ones that were discussed today. I know there are many more. I'll attempt to document them as my come to my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment