Friday, April 9, 2010

San Diego Radio

San Diego radio stations play way too much of music that is best heard seldomly. There are many bands and songs that are still enjoyable when you hear them on the radio because they have a certain sense of nostalgia to them. Yet, those same songs become a nuisance when heard with a greater frequency.

This is the formula for San Diego radio. They take songs that are enjoyable when heard once in a blue moon and, apparently using the assumption that you can't have too much of a good thing, they play these songs and others by the same bands way more than anyone (in their right mind) would ever want to hear them. It takes songs that I don't normally mind and makes them mind-numbing.

Some bands that are played way too much for enjoyment include: Tool, Offspring, Everlast, Nirvana. Just off the top of my head.

I don't think I've heard the song Hash Pipe, by Weezer, played on the radio in years. When I heard it a week or two ago, I wasn't put out by it and was able to initially enjoy it in that "oh man, I  haven't heard this in years!" sort of way. Now I've heard that song on the radio 3 or 4 more times in the past week. The same has happened with a number of Tool and Offspring songs as well.

Radio here is hit or miss. There are good days and there are bad days. For example, the other day was a good day. I got in the car, flipped through the stations and almost immediately found "Closer" by NIN playing. I was instantly pleased b/c I don't hear NIN on the radio very often. I rolled down the windows, turned the volume up and jammed out happily. When it was over, some terrible song came on. I once again flipped through the stations only to miraculously found more NIN playing - "The Hand That Feeds" - this time on a different station. All in all, this pretty much made my day. However, there are also days like this morning: as I'm dropping the boyfriend off for work "Smells Like Teen Spirit" comes on. At first it's just background noise and I'm not paying attention. After saying goodbye to the boyfriend (by this time almost to the middle of the song) I realize I can't continue listening to Nirvana and I change the station. Only to find the exact same song, just beginning, on another station. Seriously? Was someone at that station listening to other one going, "Hmmm, Nirvana, that's a good idea!" This tragedy was only remedied by the fact that another switch of the station led me to "Don't Stop Believing", which pretty much makes any situation better. San

Alas, there are about 5-6 radio stations that don't completely suck. None of them are good enough to listen to all the time though, I have to constantly change between them. I had hoped that moving to a big city I would at least have better radio options.... well, I guess technically having any stations that don't suck 95% of the time is actually better than normal, lol.

2 comments:

  1. At least you have more options than State College! Last summer, they axed Qwikrok because everybody was sick of them constantly playing Nikleback (which, btw, one of The Bus's mottos is "we don't play Nikleback). Fast forward a couple of months, and Quickrock is now back on, but it's the hits "of the last three decades", so not only will you hear Nikleback fifteen times (srsly, how many songs can one guy make about sticking his dick in a girl's mouth?) but the rest of the time is a washed up rehash of The Bus. Which I used to love, but it is so freaking repetitive. I miss real stations from back home -_-;;

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate Nickleback.... when I hear of people who like them I'm legitimately confused. But yeah... I don't think I ever tried to listen to much radio in SC. I also didn't spend as much time in my car commuting though, so it wasn't as big of a deal to me.

    ReplyDelete