Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Ok, I'll go in order.

The Good:
Although nothing is official it appears I have found homes for all my displaced pets. Someone I know from highschool, who is moving to Florida, may be buying Chives from me. I'm going to be meeting them tomorrow and getting everything taken care of. Hopefully everything goes smoothly and she loves him as much as I have. He's not the simplest animal to take care of and it's hard to love him when you don't understand him. I'll email her a few links to websites with info on caring from him and give her everything she needs to get started.
Regina wants to take the gecko/frog/toad tank combination off my hands. I'm very pleased with that because I can always check up on them with her and know how they're doing. Plus she knows she can always call me if she has any questions. Is it bad that I feel like I need to give people lessons in order to take care of my animals? lol

*sigh* On to worse news.

Tha Bad:
Dahlia is impacted....she has been for awhile. She was given an enima - nothing. She went to the vet last Saturday. The vet put her on laculose (a laxative) and I have been giving her that everyday, along with some mineral oil and pedialite to assure she stays hydrated. She has been such a sweatheart taking her medicine from me. So many people think she is scary, but I've had a harder time with much more friendly, cuddly animals. The bad part is that she still hasn't passed the impaction, which is believed to be a sizable chunk of mulch from her substrate. The vet said that we may have to consider surgery if she doesn't pass it soon. :( There is a surgeon in Medina that is supposed to be giving me a call on Tuesday (soonest he'll be in the office). Not only am I scared that my lizard may have to undergo surgery, I'm scared of how expensive it might be. I'm trying not to think about that, b/c I'll do whatever I can to help her..... I don't know if I could handle it right now if something worse happened to her. Which brings me on to....

The Ugly:
This is the thing I've been avoiding. I wanted to wait to talk about it, because I didn't want to cry. I've teared up a little, but I'm doing ok for the moment. Last Friday night I came home to find my female bunny, Buttons, dead. She had layed down in the closest earlier in the day and I have even remarked at how cute she looked.... I think she knew she was dying and had gone to a place where she could be in relative privacy in the room. She had been facing with her head into the closet and it had looked a little like she was trying to hide. My brother and sister were actually the ones who discovered she was dead. I was glad for that, only in so much that I didn't have to deal with it on my own. I was very firmly rooted in the "denial" stage for most of the night and I don't know if I would have been able to properly determine what should be done. Deborah helped too, well, she actually did most of the helping, as far as finding something to put her in and such. I'm glad they were there and I'm glad that Roger was able to talk to me and help keep me together while I was freaking out. I'm also extremely grateful to Buttons and the way that she went about dying. I know that sounds weird, but....she did it gracefully. She layed down, she stayed somewhere where we could find her, but that she still had her privacy. Normally, if the bunnies would want to hide they would go under the bed. She certainly had that option available to her, but she decided against it. I can only imagine how much worse it would have been if she had died under the bed. I would have had to search for her and eventually move the bed in under to recover her body..... I guess that was just her way of trying to make it easier on me.

Ok, enough of that... I did the crying thing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment