Sunday, January 3, 2010

We've come a long way since the gold rush....

Alot of things in California are strange to those of us who are not natives, though I find it equally strange that I've only been here under 2 months and I'm already beginning to overlook things that previously stood out to me.

Dentists. Just driving along the main stretches of road here I see tons and tons of dentists/dental offices/orthodontists, etc. This leads to believe one of two things (and possibly a combination of both): 1) people in California have terrible teeth, or 2) people in California are obsessed with their appearance and dentists stand to profit off of this. It could be that people here are both obsessed with appearance AND have bad teeth, but I haven't really seen strong proof toward either theory.

To tell you the truth, people here seem to much nicer and far more genuine than people I have encountered in other parts of the country. Maybe different areas of California fit into the artificial stereotype, but from what I've seen of San Diegans, so far, they maybe care about their appearance, but they don't do so to a fault. They have found some happy medium here.... Looking Good and Not Being Douchebags 101.

Another thing that I see a lot as I drive around are yogurt shops. I don't think I've ever seen a yogurt shop before....ever. So it strikes me as odd. There are tons of them here; from little privately owned, rinky-dink ones, to shiny, evidently franchise ones that have self-dispensing machines that charge by weight. I haven't actually gone to any of them yet, but it's on my "Things That Seem Interesting" list. Although I think I'll hit up one of the smaller ones..... the big chain ones seem to charge a ton.

No comments:

Post a Comment